This tried and true homemade spaghetti recipe has been part of my family meals for over 30 years. It is quick and easy and tastes so much better than any purchased in a jar. Don’t get me wrong, sauce in a jar has its place in many of my recipes, but this is just a little dressed up!
You need a dry spaghetti sauce mix and a few other ingredients to make this delicious sauce for any noodles. The best part of this recipe is you pour all the ingredients in a slow cooker and leave it on slow all day. It is ready to go when you are ready to eat dinner as a family later that day. You can add meat to this recipe or keep it vegetarian.
How to Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
1. Put all the ingredients in a crock pot on low and cook all day or
2. Pour all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Serve it up while it is hot or you can simmer for an hour until you are ready to eat. Leave the lid on, because this will make a mess on your stove if you don’t.
3. This sauce is delicious right after you bring it to a boil, but I promise, you will love it even better if you can have it simmer for a while. It thickens the longer you cook it.
4. If you are struggling to find where to purchase dried sweet peppers, look at Macey’s. They sell them in the food storage aisle in a #10 can. You can also find them in the baking/spice aisle. Walmart sells them and you can click on the link here.
5. I put 2-4 Tbsp. dried sweet peppers, depending on how much you like peppers. If you like them a lot, add 4 Tbsp. or more. If you are not sure, add 2 or less.
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 1.37 oz. Dry Spaghetti Mix
- 16 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 6 oz. Tomato Paste
- 30 oz. Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. Dried Sweet Peppers
- Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and set on low.
- Cook all day (6-8 hours) or put everything in pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and leave the lid on.
- Cook for an hour or serve immediately. Cooking this for an hour or longer will marry all the flavors and give you the best flavor.
- If you want to add meat, add 1 lb. cooked ground beef or 1/2 lb. cooked ground beef and 1/2 lb. cooked sausage. This is delicious with chicken as well.