Bell peppers, jalapeños, sugar and a little apple cider vinegar make the best Jalapeño Pepper Jelly. This recipe uses pectin which makes the jelly, well, jelly!
My son had a work party with lots of different appetizers. He ate this Jalapeño Pepper Jelly and asked his friend for the recipe. Rob came home and made the appetizer. Then he brought it over to my house. As I was eating it, I could not believe how wonderful it was! Wow! Sweet peppers with a little tang from the vinegar and the heat of the jalapeños.
After I copied down the recipe, I realized I had seen this recipe several times while looking through other cookbooks, my favorite past time. I made a batch and put all six jars in my refrigerator.
It is a perfect appetizer for any party you might be attending or if you are throwing a party! The nice thing is you can make it ahead and put it together at the last minute! Make sure you have crackers on hand!
How to Make Jalapeño Pepper Jelly
1. Chop up the green bell pepper and jalapeño. Slice the top of the bell pepper and then split the body of the pepper in half. Get all the seeds and ribs out. Do the same with the jalapeño. Put them in a blender with 1/2 C. of vinegar.
I keep surgical gloves in my kitchen to use when slicing jalapeños. I must be allergic because the oils stay on my hands even after washing them. I cannot touch my eyes without having some kind of reaction. The gloves have gotten rid of all of this.
2. Blend the peppers and vinegar until smooth. I pulsed my blender for about 30 seconds until the peppers were small pieces.
3. Pour mixture into a large 8 quart pan. Add chopped red bell pepper, sugar and the rest of the vinegar. Mix well and then turn on the heat. This mixture bubbles up when it starts to boil. It will boil out of a 4 quart pan. I had a boilover the first time I made this recipe. It was a mess! I am not sure boilover is a word, but you know exactly what I mean!
4. Bring everything to a boil. Keep the mixture boiling for one minute, stirring occasionally.
5. Turn off the heat and let the mixture sit for five minutes. You might have some foam on top that will need to be skimmed. Then again, you might have none. I have had both scenarios happen to me.
6. Sprinkle 1/4 of the pectin package on the pepper mixture and stir in. Do this three more times until pectin package is empty and mixed in.
7. Pour into sterilized glass jars, or any container you choose.
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this. Post a picture and then tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Jalapeño Pepper Jelly
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Jalapeño Pepper
- 1/2 Large Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Pkg. Pectin
- 6 Cups Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 2 Sleeves of Crackers
- 6 8 oz. Glass jars (Optional)
- Place green bell peppers and jalapeños in a blender with 1/2 cup of the vinegar.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into an 8 quart saucepan. Add the rest of the vinegar.
- Stir in the diced red bell peppers and sugar.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the stove and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Skim off any foam that might have formed and then sprinkle on the dry pectin.
- Stir until well blended. Pour immediately into 8 oz. glass jars or other containers.
Leave me your thoughts!