Professional football playoff season is in full swing and I am excited about the food I will be making for Super Bowl Sunday. This 7 Layer Greek Dip is one of my favorites! It is a great appetizer or finger food for any football, family gathering or holiday party.
This dip is based on the highly successful and popular 7 Layer Mexican Dip. I just changed out all the ingredients with Mediterranean flavors. The base is onion and chive cream cheese with hummus spread on top. Then fresh tomatoes and cucumbers diced up small and marinated in Italian Salad Dressing. Then sprinkle on some Feta and you are ready to go, quick and easy with a bag of pita chips!
How to make
7 Layer Greek Dip
1. Mix up a packet of Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing with vinegar, water and oil. Follow the instructions on the package, 1/4 cup vinegar mixed with 3 Tbsp. water and the envelope of dry salad dressing. Mix well and then add 1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil.
I make this in a small plastic container, but the lid on and shake everything up really well. You can also purchase your favorite brand of Italian Salad Dressing and save yourself a step.
2. Peel the cucumber and slice it into small bite size pieces. I enjoy a dish that is completely ready to eat. Keeping all the ingredients small and the same size makes for a much easier dipping and eating experience.
3. Slice up the tomatoes into small pieces too. Do you know how to slice a tomato into small pieces?If not, here is a great tutorial.
4. Place the tomatoes and cucumbers in a small bowl and pour 1/4 cup of salad dressing over the vegetables. Save the rest for another day. Gently fold the vegetables in the salad dressing. Set aside for later use.
In the cream cheese section of the grocery store there are different flavors of cream cheese. Look for the onion and chive flavor. This is the base of the dip.
At the time of this writing, cream cheese was hard to find due to covid supply chain issues. Substitute 1 Tbsp. Dehydrated Onions and 1 Tbsp. Dehydrated Chives in an 8 oz. brick of Cream Cheese.
5. Mix up the cream cheese with a fork to get it all fluffed up. Spread it out on the platter or plate you have chosen for your appetizer.
6. Put big dollops of hummus on top of the cream cheese in three different spots. Spread this evenly over the cream cheese with the back of a spoon. You can see the different layers when I put my dip together. I like people to know what they are eating. There is no surprise when they take a bite.
7. Drain the vegetables and use a slotted spoon to place them evenly over the hummus.
8. Mash up the feta cheese with your fingers or a fork to get all the big chunks smaller. I like to sprinkle some on a plate and then mash them with a fork.
9. Sprinkle the feta over the vegetables.
10. The last two layers of the 7 layers are sliced olives and green onions to garnish the top. No one in my family is a fan of these two ingredients, so they do not appear on my 7 Layer Greek Dip. Maybe I should call it 5 Layer Greek Dip!
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
7 Layer Greek Dip Appetizer
- 1 Pkg. Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 1/4 Cup Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 7.5 oz. Cream Cheese with Onion and Chive Can substitute with 8 oz. cream cheese mixed with 1 Tbsp. dried onions and 1 Tbsp. chives
- 10 oz. Hummus
- 1/2 English Cucumber
- 3-4 Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives (Optional)
- 1/3 Cup Green Onions (Optional)
- 1 Bag Baked Pita Chips
- Make Italian Salad Dressing according to package with vinegar, water and oil.
- Peel and cut cucumber and tomatoes into small, bite size pieces.
- Pour 1/4 C. of prepared Italian salad dressing over vegetables and set aside.
- Use a spoon or a fork to mix up cream cheese until smooth.
- If using substitute 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 Tbsp. of both dried onions and dried chives, mix together until smooth.
- Spread on platter or plate.
- Spread hummus on top of cream cheese.
- Use a slotted spoon to get vegetables out of salad dressing, or drain in a colander.
- Spoon the vegetables evenly over the hummus.
- Smash the feta cheese into small pieces and sprinkle over vegetables.
- Sprinkle on olives and green onions.
- Serve with baked pita chips.