Avocado Grapefruit Salad is one of my favorite salads. It calls to me! This salad is full of crisp Romaine lettuce, sweet grapefruit and ripe avocados. It is delicious enough with these three ingredients, but candied walnuts on top add the pièce de résistance!
This salad is so clean and fresh! With the pink grapefruit and green, cubed avocados, it just says, SPRING! The salad dressing is made from the liquid gold grapefruit juice left over. Find the directions below to make this perfect spring salad!
How to Make Avocado Grapefruit Salad
1. Cut the heads of Romaine lettuce into small bite size pieces. Place on individual plates or a large platter.
2. Slice the tops and bottoms off of two grapefruit. Then cut off the rind from top to bottom. Now you have a beautiful ball of grapefruit. Slice in between the membranes and release the grapefruit sections.
3. Cut one avocado into bite size pieces. It took me a while to figure out how to cut and slice an avocado. Make one cut from the top of the avocado all the way around to the top again. Twist and pull as you divide the avocado into two halves.
One half has a pit in it and the other does not. Leave the avocado with the pit on the counter, table or cutting board. Use your knife and come down with significance force onto the pit. Your knife should lodge into the pit. Now all you need to do it twist the knife and the pit will loosen and come out.
I have almost sliced my hand in half multiple times by putting the avocado in my hand while trying to hit the pit with a knife. Lesson learned! Keep that half of the avocado on the table while hitting it with your knife to make sure you do not hurt yourself!
Now you have two halves. Slice lightly, not piercing the skin, from the top to the bottom until the half has thin slices. Then turn the avocado and slice across the slices. Now you have beautiful small pieces of avocados for your salad. Use a spoon and carefully scoop everything out of the shell.
Use your fingers to separate the pieces of avocado and distribute over the bed of lettuce.
4. Place the slices of grapefruit over the avocados.
5. Rough chop the nuts so the pieces are in thirds. If you want to substitute the walnuts for another nut, feel free to do so.
6. Pour one cup of granulated sugar into a nonstick frying pan. Begin warming the sugar on high. Stir the sugar occasionally as it begins to heat up. When the sugar starts to turn brown and melt, you need to stir constantly.
Once all the sugar is melted, turn off the heat and pour in the chopped nuts. Stir until the nuts are covered in melted sugar. Pour this mixture in a heat resistant dish or plate. Once the nuts are cooled you can use your hands to break the nuts apart and sprinkle on top of the grapefruit and avocados.
7. Make the salad dressing from the left over juices from the grapefruit. Squeeze the ball of grapefruit membranes into a measuring cup. I usually have apart 1/4 cup of juice. Once you know how much grapefruit juice you have, put it in a container that has a lid. Add the same amount of sugar, a little salt and some ground mustard. Add the oil and shake.
The recipe is 1 part grapefruit juice, 1 part sugar, 2 parts vegetable oil, salt and ground mustard. Mix in a small bowl with a lid and shake everything up.
8. Dress the salad and serve!
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Avocado Grapefruit Salad
- 4 Cups Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Pink Grapefruits
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Walnuts
Grapefruit Salad Dressing
- 1/4 Cup Grapefruit Juice
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- Cut heads of Romaine lettuce into small pieces. Place on individual plates or a platter.
- Peel and segment the grapefruit. (Instructions above)
- Cut avocado into small pieces.
- Place grapefruit sections and avocado on the lettuce.
- Chop the walnuts in thirds.
- Heat the cup of sugar on high in a frying pan. Stir occasionally. As the sugar begins to brown, stir constantly. Stir until all the sugar is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add the walnuts. Stir until all the nuts are covered with sugar. Pour onto a heat resistant plate or dish.
- When the nuts cool, break apart and sprinkle on salad
Avocado Grapefruit Salad
- Squeeze leftover grapefruit juice into a measuring cup.
- Add the same amount of sugar. Add the salt and ground mustard.
- Mix well. Put everything in a container with a lid and add the oil. Put the lid on and shake well.
- Dress the salad and toss.