Chicken Taco Bake is an easy meal to put together. It has three layers and only six ingredients. This is a family favorite that is made at least once a month. It is one of those meals that if there are left overs, they are not in the refrigerator for very long.
All you need is cooked white rice, cooked chicken mixed with tomato sauce and taco seasoning, then topped with refried beans and grated cheese. It seriously is an easy chicken dinner that can come together in 30 minutes.
How to Make Chicken Taco Bake
1. Start making perfect rice* or Cilantro Lime Rice. Choose what kind of rice you want and make a pot of it.
2. Fill up the bottom of an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan with 2 cups of the rice you just prepared.
3. Mix the cooked chicken with the tomato sauce and the taco seasoning. Mix well and spoon this over the rice. I love making Roasted Chicken and then bagging up the chicken to pull out for recipes just like this one.
4. Open a can or two of refried beans or you can make my refried beans from scratch. Of course, if you are going to make refried beans, start the day before you make this dish.
5. Spoon the refried beans over the chicken mixture. If you are using refried beans from a can, warm them up in the microwave for a minute or two. It will make them easier to spread over the chicken.
6. Grate the cheese and sprinkle on top of the refried beans. I like a lot of cheese on this dish. It makes it so you do not need to add any more when you serve up a spoonful or two in a tortilla.
7. Bake at 350° fo 30 minutes or when cheese is melted on top. You want a few bubbles around the edges so you know everything is all warmed up. If you start with warm rice, everything will heat up quicker.
8. Warm up some soft, flour tortillas and spread a spoonful inside. If you have any Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing, it makes a wonderful addition. Enjoy!
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
If you make this, give this recipe a rating!
Chicken Taco Bake
- 1 Cup White Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Cubes Chicken Bouillon
- 2 Cups Cooked, Shredded Chicken
- 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning
- 30 ounces Refried Beans
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Put water, rice and bouillon cubes in a pot of water and put the lid on.
- When the water is boiling, turn down the heat to low and leave the lid on.
- Put a timer on for 20 minutes and do not peek.
- When the timer goes off, turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- When you take the lid off, you will have perfect rice.*
- Fill an 9 x 9 pan with 2 cups of rice.
- Mix the shredded chicken together with the tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
- Spread over the rice.
- After you open the cans of refried beans, warm them up in the microwave for a minute or two.
- Spread the warm refried beans over the chicken mixture.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.