Is it possible to have a favorite salad? If so, this one is mine. It is probably due to the fact that I can only eat it in November and December. Life is so wonderful when I finally see cranberries in the grocery store. I buy a bag every time I go. I have so many recipes and this one calls to me.
Apple Cranberry Holiday Salad is full of chopped cranberries, grated tart apples, chopped pecans and sweetened whipped cream. The cranberries are mixed with sugar and put in the refrigerator the night before you want to make the salad.
Once the cranberries have macerated in the sugar, they are soft and, oh so delectable. The reason I love this salad so much is I don’t really feel guilty eating it. It is full of grated apples, pecans and cranberries. Folding everything up in a blanket of whipped cream is good for you too, right?
How To Make Cranberry Apple Holiday Salad
1. Buy a 12 oz. package of cranberries every chance you get. Having fresh cranberries in your refrigerator allows you to make Cranberry Orange Bread, Cranberry Salsa and Cranberry Cake whenever you want.
Cranberries will stay fresh in your refrigerator for three to four weeks. They are only harvested once a year in the fall. When they are gone in the grocery stores, they are gone. Thus, my advice, to buy them when you see them.
2. Pour the bag of cranberries on a large cookie sheet. Roll your hands over the berries. You will start to feel the soft berries. Throw those away. They look like plump raisins and you do not want these. All the other berries are healthy and will work great in this recipe.
3. Put the healthy berries in a food processor. Pulse several times until the berries are chopped. Use a spatula to swipe the sides down and pulse several times again.
Macerate – Sprinkle sugar on fruit and let it sit in the refrigerate to create natural juices.
4. When the berries are chopped, put them in a container with a lid you can keep in the refrigerator. Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the berries and stir with a spoon, until the sugar is mixed in well. Put the lid on and place in the refrigerator over night or for at least 2 hours.
Once the berries have turned a dark red and there is juice in the container, you are ready to make Cranberry Apple Holiday Salad.
5. Cut the apples in quarters and cut out the cores. I do not peel my apples because I use the skins as a barrier when I grate them on a box grater. I push the apples into the grater and go back and forth until I am down to the skin. Then I throw it away. Watch the video on Instagram @dinasdiner.
6. Break the pecans apart by hand. Pecans are a very soft nut. They take no time at all to break apart with your hands. I like the organic shapes it produces. Of course, you can chop them with a knife if you want.
7. Whip the heavy cream and add the powdered sugar. Whip the cream until it has stiff peaks. Be careful not to make butter. With the juice in the cranberries and apples, you want the whipping cream as stiff as you can, before it turns to butter. I’ve done that!
8. Pour the cranberries, apples and pecans in the whipped cream. Gently fold everything together. Cranberry Apple Salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days. Gently stir everything together when you are ready to serve.
Here are a few of my favorite products to make
Cranberry Apple Holiday Salad
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Cranberry Apple Salad
- 12 oz. Fresh Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 4-5 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Cup Pecans
- Chop cranberries in a food processor.
- Put cranberries in a container with a lid.
- Pour the sugar in and stir until well mixed.
- Refrigerate over night or at least for 2 hours
- Quarter the apples and cut out the core
- Grate the apples on a box grater.7. Chop the pecans
- Pour the heavy cream in a bowl and add powdered sugar.
- Whip the cream until it has stiff peaks.
- Add the cranberries, apples and pecans.
- Fold until well mixed and serve.
Leave me your thoughts!