No More Dry Roast is an easy way to cook a large piece of meat so you can have lots of shredded beef for quesadillas, chimichangas, French dip Sandwiches, nachos . . . or slices of roast with vegetables and potatoes for a beautiful meal.
This is a an easy recipe, but you have to think about it the day before, that’s what makes this so easy. You put it in the oven the night before you want to serve it and cook it all night on a very low temperature. You will not smell it all night and it will be ready to serve the next day around 1:00 pm.
How To Make No More Dry Roast
1. The first thing you need to do is buy your roast. You can use any piece of beef or pork for this recipe, but I always use it when I am buying a cheaper cut of meat like a beef butt roast. My local grocery store has a marquee advertising what is on sale in their store during the week. When I pass by and see beef butt roast on sale, I think of this recipe. Usually my mouth starts to water when I think of making French Dip Sandwiches.
2. The key to this recipe is the spices you rub on before cooking it. You will need salt, Lawry’s Seasoning Salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, Accent and Bon Appetit. All these spices can be found in the baking aisle. Accent is the seasoning MSG, so if you are allergic, please leave it out. Bon Appetit is a mix of celery salt, sugar and onion powder. After reading all these spices, you can see why this roast tastes so amazing!
Roast needs to be sealed in the pan. No steam or heat can escape!
3. Now the easy part. Mix the spices together and sprinkle all over the roast. Make sure you get all the sides covered with spices. Use your hand to smush it everywhere and in every little part of the roast. Try and keep the fat cap of the roast on the top. It doesn’t always work because butt roasts are three sided.
4. Now for the most important instruction of this recipe. The roast needs to be cooked in some kind of pan that can be covered in foil to seal in all the juices and steam while cooking. I use a large roaster with a lid that fits on top. For years, I did not have this roaster and still made this in a pan covered in foil. It works! I promise. You just want to make sure the foil covers everything and is wrapped around the sides so all the heat stays inside the pan.
5. The night before you want to eat the roast, put it in the covered pan and place in a 250° oven for one hour. Turn the heat down to 170° and leave in the oven to cook overnight.
6. The roast will be ready to eat at 1:00 pm the next day. If you want to eat the roast later in the day, turn the oven off. Let the roast rest in the oven until you are ready to eat it. Do not take off any of the foil and don’t peek!
No More Dry Roast
- 3-5 lbs. Beef Butt Roast
- 5 tsp. Salt
- 5 tsp. Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Bon Appetit
- 1/4 tsp. Accent
- Mix all spices together in a small bowl.
- Rub spices over all sides of the roast.
- Put roast in a roasting dish or a pan that can be covered in foil.
- Put the lid on the roaster or cover the pan with tin foil.
- Make sure the foil is snug against the pan and there are no places where the steam can leak out.
- Place in a 250° oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Lower the temperature to 170° and cook overnight.
- The roast is ready to serve, the next day, at 1:00 pm.
- If you want to serve later in the day, turn the oven off and keep the roast in the warm oven until you are ready to serve it.