All the ingredients for Pantry Meatloaf are inside your pantry, except the meat and eggs. It is not like any meatloaf you have eaten before. It is so much better and soon will become one of your favorites. This is a meal in my house that everyone loves. If there is anything left over, it becomes a meatloaf sandwich, my favorite!
The thing that sets this meatloaf apart is both sausage and hamburger as the base. Everything else comes from your pantry, V-8 juice, bread crumbs and Lipton Onion soup. I always keep hamburger and sausage in my freezer and eggs are always in my refrigerator. So this Pantry Meatloaf can be made any day, any time, because most of the ingredients come from my pantry.
Fun Story about Pantry Meatloaf at the end of the post.
How to Make Pantry Meatloaf
1. This meatloaf starts with regular breakfast sausage and hamburger. The sausage gives this meatloaf a very unique flavor. You need one pound of each.
I buy the three pound Jimmy Dean sausage roll at Costco in the refrigerator by the bacon. Divide the sausage roll into one pound pieces and then put them in a quart size, freezer, plastic bag. After putting the meat inside, flatten it out until it fills the bag and is mashed flat. Seal the bag and then stack in the freezer. The flat shape creates a perfect way to store and stack in your freezer. Label the plastic bag whether it is hamburger or sausage and then put the date on it and place in the freezer.
Kitchen Hack for thawing frozen meat.
Place the frozen meat in a plastic bag, in a large bowl of water. Put enough water in the bowl until it is almost covered. Turn the bag over every five minutes or so. Before you know it, your meat will be thawed. I like this method so much better than the microwave. There are no cooked edges.
Before getting all your ingredients together, place the frozen meat in the bowl of water. By the time you get all the other ingredients together, the meat will be thawed.
2. Place both sausage and hamburger in a large bowl. Pour in the V-8 juice, eggs, Lipton Onion Soup Mix and bread crumbs. I really like the Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs. You can find these on the baking aisle. Mix with your hands until everything is well combined. Sometimes ingredients get stuck on the bottom of the bowl, so keep mixing until it is all one color.
3. Divide the meat mixture into two even pieces. Place each into a bread pan. You do not need to grease the pans because there is enough fat in the meat . Push the meat down to fit the bottom of the pans. This recipe makes two loaves of meatloaf. One will get eaten right away. Slice the second loaf into very thin pieces after it cooks for the perfect meatloaf sandwiches.
4. Mix the ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard and nutmeg in a small bowl. Divide between the two loaves. Pour on top and use a spatula to spread evenly.
5. Place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.
Add some potatoes in the oven for a side dish.
6. If you want some baked potatoes with the meatloaf, wrap each potato in a sheet of tin foil and place along side the meatloaf for an hour.
7. When making Meatloaf Sandwiches use really good, soft, white bread. Spread on a layer of mayonnaise on both pieces of bread. Lay three thin slices of cooked meatloaf on one slice. Cover with the second slice and eat. The sandwich is especially delicious if you use warm meatloaf. You really have to try this!
Some of my favorite products from Amazon to make Pantry Meatloaf.
Post a picture and tag me.
- 1 lb. Sausage
- 1 lb. Hamburger
- 2 Eggs
- 12 oz. V8 Juice
- 2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix (dry)
- 1 1/2 Cups Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Dry Mustard
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix sausage and hamburger in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, V8 Juice, bread crumbs and Soup Mix.
- Use your hands to mix everything until well combined.
- Divide the meat mixture into two equal parts and place each piece in a bread pan.
- Mix the brown sugar, ketchup, dry mustard and nutmeg. Divide in half and pour on top of each loaf.
- Bake for an hour in a 350° oven