Root Beer Cookies are soft and delicious with a hint of root beer. Sour Cream is the secret ingredient. Baked until perfect and then add a drizzle of warm root beer glaze on top.
Looking for a perfect compliment to your meal or BBQ? Try these cookies today! Hot summer days will mellow with a cool glass of root beer and some root beer cookies.
How to Make Root Beer Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Cream the butter, sugar together for four minutes. You will be amazed at the difference in your cookies if you allow your sugar crystals to get coated with fat. Coating the sugar crystals takes at least four minutes when creaming these two ingredients together.
3. Add the eggs one at a time. After the eggs are well mixed, add the sour cream. Mix the eggs together until you cannot see the white of the sour cream.
4. One teaspoon of extract is a mild taste in these cookies, just the way I like my cookies. If you are going for a bold root beer flavor, try adding 2 teaspoons.
There is a difference between root beer extract and concentrate.
Root Beer Extract is more mild than concentrate. If you want a heavy root beer flavor, use 1 tsp. of concentrate or 2 tsp. of extract. If you want a milder taste, use 1 tsp. of extract and 1/2 tsp. of concentrate.
5. Now spoon in the dry ingredients. At this point, I change out my whip attachment to the paddle, on my stand mixer. Add 1/2 a cup of dry ingredients at a time. This allows everything to get mixed in well.
6. Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable spray and place a large scoop of cookie dough. Place the cookies three across and four down, making a perfect dozen on each pan.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. You want the cookies to be set and not have any wet spots on them. Touch the cookies after 10 minutes. If the cookie springs back it is done. If not, cook for 2 more minutes.
8. Take the cookies out of the oven and place on a cooling rack.
9. Let the cookies have cool for five minutes. Then mix the glaze ingredients and drizzle on while the cookies are still warm. I put the glaze in a plastic bag and cut the corner off. Then I used a circular motion to leave the warm glaze on the cookies.
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Root Beer Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1-2 tsp. Root Beer Extract
- 2 3/4 Cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
Root Beer Glaze
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Root Beer Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Hot Water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream butter and sugar together for four minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add sour cream and root beer extract.
- Spoon in dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time until everything is well blended.
- Scoop cookie dough and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookie springs back when touched.
- Drizzle on the Root Beer Glaze while the cookies are warm.
Root Beer Glaze
- Mix ingredients adding the hot water last.
- Add just enough water to get a thin consistency.
- Spread frosting on warm cookies.