Scalloped Potatoes are decadent and delicious! These potatoes are easy to make and everyone loves them. They have thinly sliced potatoes and onions sautéed in butter and then simmered in heavy cream with ham and shredded cheese. We have been grilling all summer with hamburgers, steaks and tri-tip roasts. Each time we decide to stoke up the grill and make some delicious entrée, my children ask, “Are we having Skillet Scalloped Potatoes?” These potatoes are buttery, cheesy and so tasty!
I seriously was so surprised how much my family liked these Skillet Scalloped Potatoes. I am not sure why I was surprised, because I loved them as a kid when my mom made them. Everyone at the table wanted a second serving, they were that good! Now when I make these potatoes, I have to make two pans. Everyone wants leftovers and one pan isn’t enough.
How to Make Skillet Scalloped Potatoes
1. Yukon gold potatoes are my go to potatoes for this dish. They cook up easily and they have a beautiful, buttery taste. You can use any potato you like and they will still turn out wonderfully.
At the bottom of this post you will find a recipe. It is based on my large, dutch oven skillet. It is almost four inches deep and it will serve 7-9 people. Please make adjustments if you want to make a smaller amount.
2. Peel 12 medium size potatoes. Slice them as thin as you can. My mandoline is the greatest tool in my kitchen. I use it all the time when it comes to slicing potatoes or any other vegetable. Using this tool, I can slice the potatoes so thin which makes them cook quickly and thoroughly. You probably can use your knife and make the potatoes super thin. I have never tried, because I always use my mandonline.
3. Cut the top and bottom off of a large onion. Once you’ve done this, cut the onion in half and peel off the outer layer. Lay the onion on its flat side and slice it into very thin pieces. Curl your fingers with your fingernails digging into the onion. Use your knuckles as a guide as you slice, moving your fingers away from the edge a small amount each time. Do this again for the other half. This is a great way to slice your potatoes as well!
4. Place the butter in the skillet and melt. Then add the onion slices. Use a spatular or wooden spoon to separate the onion pieces.
Preheat the oven to 350°
5. Add the potatoes slices to the onions in the skillet. Add the salt and pepper and stir gently for 6-7 minutes. If you stop stirring, the potatoes will stick to the bottom of the pan and you don’t want this to happen. You know me, I always set my timer, so I know exactly how long I need to stir something. You want the onions to be translucent.
6. Pour enough heavy cream to barely cover the potatoes and onions. I give you measurements below, but every skillet and the size of potatoes are different. This instruction is one you need to feel out as you are making the dish. You might need to add more or less cream. Make sure the potatoes are barely covered. Other ingredients will be added and then put this in the oven. You want the cream to bubble up and really cook everything in the skillet.
7. Bring everything to a boil and then turn the heat down to a medium temperature. Put the lid on the skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes longer.
8. When the timer goes off, spread the sliced ham and grated cheese on top of the potatoes, onions and cream. I like to gently push the ham down into the potatoes and sprinkle the cheese over everything. Place the skillet in the oven, without the lid, at 350° and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown on top.
If you have read any of my previous posts, you know I have issues with things that are not in bite size pieces. I like to cut chunks of ham by cutting the ham slices into strips. Then turn the cutting board a quarter turn and cut through the strips again until there are chunks of ham that are about 1 inch wide.
9. Place these potatoes on the dinner table and watch them disappear!
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Skillet Scalloped Potatoes
- 12 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 2 – 2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 5 ounces Sliced Ham
- 2 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- Peel the potatoes.
- Slice the onion and potatoes into thin slices.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add onions and potatoes and stir for 6-7 minutes.
- Pour heavy cream over the potatoes and onions.
- Bring everything to a low boil.
- Place a lid on top and cook for another 6-7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut the ham into 1 inch pieces.
- Once the timer goes off, take off the lid. Spread the ham over the potatoes. Gently push down into the mixture.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
Most yummy potatoes I crave these every sunday now