Thinking about Beef Stroganoff makes my mouth water! Chuck roast sliced thin and sprinkled with salt, pepper and ground mustard, slow roasted for fall apart doneness. Fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter. Then added to thin, sliced onions that are cooked until tender and translucent. Extra wide egg noddles boiled to perfection. Now make a sour cream gravy and pour it over everything. Is your mouth watering?
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
1. Cut chuck roast into 1/2 inch strips that are 3-4 inches long. Put the strips in a plastic bag. Mix up the salt, pepper and ground mustard. Sprinkle over the meat in the bag. Shake the bag to get everything coated.
2. Put the meat in a slow cooker in the morning on low and it will be ready for dinner. If you do not want to wait for the meat, you can fry it in a little oil in a skillet.
3. Slice the onions in half. Then chop them into very thin slices. I like long, thin slices of onions in this dish.
4. Sauté the onions in butter until tender and translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Take the onions out of the pan and put them in a bowl. Set aside.
5. Slice the mushrooms into thin slices too.
6. Sauté the sliced mushrooms in butter until all the liquid has been cooked out, about 5-7 minutes. Pour cooked mushrooms into a bowl and set aside while you make the gravy.
7. Get a large pan of water heating. When the water boils, add the egg noodles and cook for 9 minutes. Time the cooking of the noodles so they are done about the same time you are finishing the gravy. Drain the noodles in a colander.
You can use beef broth if you do not have
beef bouillon cubes.*
8. Put two cubes of beef bouillon in 2 cups of very hot water. Let sit until the cubes are melted in the water.
9. Use a slotted spoon to get all the meat out of the slow cooker. Then pour the left over juices into the same fry pan you used to sauté the onions and mushrooms.
10. Sprinkle the flour over the juices and stir with a wire whisk until everything is smooth. Add in the beef bouillon and water. Cook until this starts to boil. Once it begins to boil, cook for another 3-4 minutes stirring constantly.
11. Add in the sour cream and turn the heat down to medium. Heat until everything is well mixed and warm.
12. Add in the mushrooms, onions and meat. Stir gently to mix everything together. The meat will start to separate, so be careful. You still want the meat to stay in chunks.
13. Prepare plates by adding cooked pasta to each plate and then ladle on the gravy meat mixture.
- 2-3 lbs. Chuck Roast
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 2 tsp. Ground Mustard
- 1/2 C. Butter
- 2 C. Sliced Onions (about 2 medium onions)
- 2 lbs. Fresh Sliced Mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 cubes Beef Bouillon
- 2 C. Hot Water
- 16 oz. Sour Cream
- 12 oz. Egg Noodles
- Mix salt, pepper and ground mustard together.
- Cut chuck roast into 1/2 inch pieces that are 3-4 inches long.
- Put the meat in a plastic bag and sprinkle the spices over the top of the meat. Shake well in the plastic bag.
- Put the meat in a slow cooker and cook on low heat 4-6 hours. (If you do not want to put the meat in a slow cooker, you can cook it in 1-2 Tablespoons of oil and 2 Tbsp. of butter in a skillet after you have sautéed onions and mushrooms. The meat will not be as tender, but it works.)
- Put the two cubes of beef bouillon in two cups of very hot water. Let this sit and melt while you sauté the onions and mushrooms.
- Use 1 – 2 Tablespoons of butter in a skillet and then put in sliced onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Take out the cooked onions and put them in a bowl. Set aside
- Use 3-4 Tablespoons of butter in the same skillet and sauté sliced mushrooms until all the liquid is gone. This takes about 4-5 minutes. Take out the mushrooms and put them in a bowl. Set aside.
- Get a large pan of water boiling. Once the water is boiling, place the egg noodles in the water and cook for 9 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the meat out of the slow cooker and put into a bowl. Set aside. There should be about 1/2 cup of juice in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the juices into the skillet with the butter drippings from the onions and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the flour into the meat juices and mix well with a wire whisk. Add 1 1/2 cups of the beef bouillon and water mixture. Stir until everything begins to boil. Once it begins to boil, stir constantly for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and turn the heat to low. Mix well and then add in onions, mushrooms and meat. Be careful not to over mix. The meat will start to pull apart and you want chunks of meat not shredded meat.
- You can plate the pasta on individual plates or on a platter. Pour the Beef Stroganoff over the pasta and serve.
Leave me your thoughts!