Creamy Tomatillo Dressing (Cafe Rio Dressing) is so good! It seems I can never make enough. My kids want it on tacos, on burritos, on salads, on everything! This recipe is delicious and it only takes minutes to make.
All you need are a few ingredients and a blender. So quick and easy to put together. It boosts the flavor of any meal you might be making with a Latin flavor. Later in the week I am posting a recipe for Chicken Taco Bake that pairs so well with this dressing.
How to Make Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
1. Take the husks off the tomatillos. If you have not purchased tomatillos before, they are in the produce section of the grocery store. They look like little green tomatoes with crepe, green leaves around them. They are usually next to the jalapeños, which is great because you need those too.
You can get bigger or small ones. It doesn’t really matter in this recipe. You want the tomatillos to be firm and not squishy.
2. Cut the tops off the tomatillos and cut them into fourths. Put them in the blender.
3. Pull 1-3 cloves off a head of cloves. Use the side of a chef’s knife and lightly smash the cloves. Pull the skin off and cut the tops off. Put the garlic in the blender.
4. Cut the tops off the jalapeños. Then cut the jalapeños in half and take all the seeds out of them. You can use a spoon to scrape them out. Then cut them into chunks and put them in the blender.
I have problems with jalapeños! After cutting jalapeños, I wash my hands well and I still have residue on my fingers. Now, I use plastic gloves in the kitchen every time I cut them. The gloves have solved so many problems!
5. Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk and dry ranch mix to the blender.
6. Juice a lime and add that to the blender. Turn the blender on and grind everything up. My blender has a salad dressing setting that I use and let it run the cycle, around 30 seconds.
7. Cut off the stems of the cilantro. Roughly chop the cilantro and then add to the blender. Pulse or run for 10 seconds. It will last in the refrigerator for two weeks.
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this. Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
- 2 Tomatillos
- 1-3 Cloves Garlic (I use 3, but I like garlic!)
- 1-2 Jalapeños (I use 2 because we like this with a zing!)
- 1 C. Mayonnaise
- 1/2 C. Sour Cream
- 1/2 C. Buttermilk
- 1 Pkg. Dry Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro
- Take the husks off the tomatillos.
- Cut the tops off the tomatillos and quarter them. Put them in the blender.
- Roughly chop up 1-3 cloves of garlic and put in the blender.
- Take the tops off the jalapeños and deseed them. Cut them into chunks and put in the blender.
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk and dry ranch packets into the blender.
- Juice one lime and add to the blender.
- Turn blender on and blend for 1 minute.
- Cut the stems off the cilantro and add to the blender. Pulse for 10 seconds until cilantro is mostly chopped.