Biscuits and Gravy are my favorite, slow morning, breakfast dish. This dish is made from homemade biscuits and country, sausage gravy. There are a few tricks included in the instructions below. Make sure you read all the way through! These biscuits need to be made as soon as you can so your family can give you a big hug and say, “Thank you!”
Growing up in Tennessee, I learned a lot about Southern cooking. Biscuits and Gravy is a staple in the South. My mom made them almost every Saturday morning while I was young. Biscuits and gravy were her favorite. When eating out, my mom ordered biscuits and gravy whenever she found them on a restaurant menu. I order biscuits and gravy every time I see them on the menu, too!
How to Make Biscuits and Gravy
Defrosting frozen meat in a bowl or pan of hot water is awesome!
Cooking biscuits until they are dark brown on top is important!
Biscuits and Gravy
- 2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 lb. Ground Breakfast Sausage
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Fat substitute butter if you do not have
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 4 Cups Milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Place shortening in a bowl and add all the dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the size of green peas.
- Add the buttermilk and stir with a spoon until combine.
- Once combine into a ball of dough, turn out onto a countertop.
- Using your hands, or a rolling pine, flatten the ball of dough.
- Using a biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out 3 1/2 inch circles from the dough.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake until dark brown, about 12 – 15 minutes.
- Fry sausage in a large fry pan.
- Once the sausage is cooked, take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter and chicken fat to the fry pan.
- When fats are completely melted, add the four and stir for 2 – 3 minutes until flour is cooked.
- Gradually add in the milk and stir consistently. Cook until the mixture begins to boil.
- Add the salt and pepper and serve over cooke biscuits
Leave me your thoughts!