Take it up a notch with these TBM Sandwiches (Tomato Basil Mozzarella). They are just as easy as any grilled cheese sandwich. They are quick and easy and so good!
We made these on Christmas Eve. We had a whole selection of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, but the TBM was, by far, the favorite!
Every summer, my family goes to Wyoming and camps on the banks of the Snake River. We usually have 25-40 people that come up with us and run the white water stretch of the Snake River between Hoback Junction and Alpine. We love this tradition and have been doing it for 30+ years. Our favorite rapids are Double D, Shark, Big Kahuna, Lunch Counter and Rope.
Last summer, we took our camp food up a level and made these gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch one day. I am telling you, if you want to make some people happy at your house, make these sandwiches today!
All you need is bread, pesto, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. All these can be purchased at Costco. I am a big Grandma Sycamore Bread lover. I always use this soft, tasty bread. Buy a jar of pesto, pick up a two pack of fresh mozzarella in the Deli section and fresh tomatoes. Now you are ready to make people smile!
How to Make
Tomato Basil Mozzarella Sandwiches
1. Lay out your bread so when you put the sandwiches together, the bread halves match up.I like my food to look good as well as taste good. I have issues when the tops of the bread do not line up. Making bread slices match on top of one another makes me happy!
2. Spread pesto on both pieces of bread.
3. Slice the mozzarella into thin slices as well as the tomatoes.
4. Lay the mozzarella on one slice and the tomatoes on the other slice of bread.
5. Put the two pieces of bread together then spread butter on the outside of the sandwich, on the top piece of bread. You will spread butter on the other side after you flip it on the griddle. You can add another layer of flavor by spreading on mayonnaise on top of the butter.
6. Place the bread on a warm griddle on medium heat. I actually set a timer for two minutes while I am cooking the sandwich so I do not burn the bread. It is easy to start doing something else in the kitchen and forget about the sandwiches.
7. Butter the other side and flip the sandwich when the timer goes off.
8. Use a large lid from your skillet or some other pan and place it over the sandwich.Make sure there is air circulating under the lid.
9. Set the timer again for 2 minutes.You might need to cook each side an additional 2 minutes. When the bread is golden brown, cut in half and serve.
Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I want to know how it turns out.
TBM (Tomato Basil Mozzarella) Sandwich
- 8 Slices Bread
- 1/2 Cup Pesto
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- Lay out bread and spread pesto on both sides.
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into thin slices.
- Place tomatoes and mozzarella on slices of bread.
- Put sandwiches together and spread softened butter on the outside of the top piece of bread.
- Place buttered bread side down on a skillet that is already warmed up on medium heat.
- Butter the other side of the sandwich.
- Flip when one side is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Place a large lid from another pan to cover sandwich while cooking.
- Cut and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Sign up to receive emails each week and never miss another recipe!
The latest posts on Dinas Diner