Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots are a great addition to any holiday table or dinner for that matter. They are easy and quick to make and let’s face it, who does not like carrots when they have a little butter and brown sugar on them?
These carrots are extra special because they are cut on the diagonal. You can cut them straight, but I think the diagonal cut adds an extra flair to this dish. It kind of dresses them up for any occasion.
How to Make Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
1. Peel the carrots. If you have problems with your disposal, make sure to throw your peels away. Disposals are really meant to handle the left over food from a plate after dinner. They are not meant to chew up peels and egg shells. I had to learn this the hard way.
My mom put everything down the disposal, even chicken bones. After being married several years and calling a plumber for the third time, I learned a few things. The plumber helped me realize I really should just throw peels, bones and egg shells in the wet trash garbage I keep under the sink.
Disposal care is important when peeling carrots.
2. Once peeled, cut the ends off of the carrots with a diagonal cut. Start at the bottom and turn your blade so it is diagonal across the carrot. Cut off the bottom and throw it away. Now the next cuts are easy. Just follow the first cut you made and continue until you get to the top of the carrot. If you have a mandolin, you can cut carrots very fast. You can make a diagonal cut or a flat cut.
3. Place the water and chicken bouillon in a large fry pan. Once the water is boiling, put the sliced carrots in the water. Place the lid on the pan. Make sure the liquid continues to boil at a medium high heat. Cook for 10 minutes, checking often for the tenderness of the carrots. You want them to be soft and firm. Cooking with the lid on is important. The steam helps cook the carrots evenly.
4. Once the carrots are fork tender, pour all the liquid down the drain. Sprinkle the salt over the carrots and then add the butter in slices. Break up the brown sugar and spread evenly over the top.
5. Continue to cook for 3 minutes more. The butter and sugar continue to cook and mix. This creates a nice sauce that thickens as it cooks.
6. That’s it! Now you are ready to serve on a serving dish. You can serve as is, or chop a little fresh parsley to add a little bit of color contrast as a garnish.
Here are a few products I like to use when making Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots.
When you purchase items from the Amazon links below, I receive a small commission.
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this. Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 tsp. Granulated Chicken Bouillon or 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 9 Large Carrots
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley Chopped
- Peel carrots and cut on the diagonal.
- Bring the water and chicken bouillon to a boil.
- Add the sliced carrots.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until tender with the lid on.
- Drain the chicken stock. Then add the salt.
- Add the butter and brown sugar and toss.
- Continue to cook for three more minutes until sauce thickens.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
Leave me your thoughts!