Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches are the kind of summer dinner everyone wants to make. Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches need no oven and they are so fresh with all the chopped onions, celery and red grapes. A little mayonnaise and miracle whip hold everything together. The crunch of the vegetables and grapes add the perfect texture and taste.
These sandwiches make a fabulous lunch, dinner or picnic main dish. Are you entertaining? These are so good for a baby or wedding shower. I love serving the chicken salad in these mini croissants. They fit perfectly on a plate with a pasta or green salad. Then all you need is a side of fruit salad or chunks of watermelon.
How to Make Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
1. Cook or buy chicken. I have several methods to get chicken without cooking.
a. Buy a rotisserie chicken and debone the chicken and chop it into small pieces.
b. There are really good canned chicken options if you want to find them. The following are delicious choices for canned chicken, Hormel, Sweet Sue and Great Value (Walmart).
c. You can also find cooked chicken in a vacuumed sealed bag that is about 2 pounds of chicken in the deli department at Costco.
d. Cooking chicken can also be easy when you cook it on the stove. It only takes 20 minutes. Place six to eight boneless, chicken breasts in a pot and add one cup of water. Sprinkle with one tablespoon of salt and bring the water to a boil. Place the lid on and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the lid on for 10 minutes until the chicken is easy to handle.
There are lots of way to cook or buy chicken.
2. Once you have chosen what kind of chicken you want to use, chop it up. I like cutting a chicken breast into strips and then cutting across the strips to make chunks. You know me, I like my food in small bites. I don’t want to do the cut my food with my teeth.
3. Chop the celery and onions into small pieces and have it ready to add to the chicken. Chopping the onions with a knife works great. I really enjoy the larger chunks of onion and celery in this salad. You can also use a food processor and chop them into smaller pieces.
4. Use mayonnaise and miracle whip. I am a big fan of mayonnaise, and not a big lover of Miracle Whip. But this recipe needs both. The sweet notes in the miracle whip are a perfect compliment to the deep flavor of the mayonnaise. Mix these two together and then add the lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Learn a new hack to cut grapes in half.
5. Cut the red grapes in half. I have created a video to show you a hack to easily cut grapes or tomatoes in half. Use two lids of some kind of plastic container that are identical. Line up the red grapes on one lid. Place the other lid on top. Push down on the top lid while you slide a knife in between the two lids. The grapes are sliced in half and you can slice about 15 at a time depending on the size of the lids you use.
6. Place the chopped chicken, onions and celery in a bowl. Add the mayonnaise and miracle whip with the lemons and salt and pepper. Mix well. Then add the red grapes and gently toss until mixed.
7. Cut the croissants in half and stuff with the mixture. You can use big croissants or any other bread you have on hand. I often use thinly sliced French Bread or Grandma Sycamore’s white bread. To be honest, this is one of my favorites as well. No need to add more mayonnaise on the bread, you really do not need it.
8. If you like nuts in chicken salad, toss in some sliced almonds or chopped cashews.
Let me know on Instagram or Facebook if you make this. Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner. I would love for you to leave a star rating or a comment if you like this recipe.
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken
- 3/4 Cup Celery, chopped
- 3/4 Cup Vidalia Sweet Onion, chopped
- 3/4 Cup Red Grapes, sliced in half
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Miracle Whip
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 24 Mini Croissants or 12 Large Croissants
- Cook or buy chicken.
- Chop chicken, onions and celery.
- Slice red grapes in half.
- Mix mayonnaise and miracle whip together with the lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Place cooked and chopped chicken with chopped celery and onions in a bowl. Add the mayonnaise mixture and mix together.
- Add the red grapes and gently toss.
- Slice the croissants in half and stuff with chicken salad.