If you have not tried or made Mississippi Pot Roast, you just have to! This is the easiest pot roast to make and it is so delicious. I have made this three times in the last two weeks. Everyone loves it!
The thing I love the most is, you put everything in a slow cooker, and forget it. When you come home in the evening, it is ready to serve. So many people in my family do not like pot roast, but no one could turn this down. I love it over a bed of Can’t Put My Fork Down Mashed Potatoes. You can also serve it over a bed of rice or use it in sandwiches.
How To Make Mississippi Pot Roast
1. Buy a chuck roast. I like to purchase mine at Costco. They come two roasts in one package. I promise you will use both of them even if you do not think you will.
Many people put the chuck roast raw in the slow cooker. I like to braise mine. It takes about five minutes to brown both sides of the chuck roast. Salt and pepper both sides well. Cook each side until brown with a nice crust. You do not need to cook the sides, just the top and bottom.
2. Place the braised chuck roast in the slow cooker. Pour on a package of au jus and one package of dry ranch salad dressing.
3. Place pepperoncini peppers on top of the roast. If you are not a spicy person 3-4 will be plenty. I actually love the flavor of these peppers so I placed 7-8 in mine. I love the tangy flavor it brings. To me, this is what makes this pot roast different from others. You can also pour in about 1/2 cup of the juice.
Pepperoncinis are different from banana peppers. You can often use them in place of the other, but be prepared if you do. Banana peppers and pepperoncinis side by side often will taste the very same. Pepperoncinis have a little spicier flavor than banana peppers but on the Scoville Scale, they both top out at 500 SHU. Banana peppers start at 0 and pepperoncinis start at 100.
4. Cut 1/4 cup of butter into slices. These are the last thing to add to the slow cooker. Put the lid on set the slow cooker to low. Cook for eight hours.
5. After eight hours, you will have the most amazing, tender pot roast that is swimming in a lightly, spicy juice that makes the most delicious gravy over the meat and potatoes.
6. This meat can be used in a sandwich with more pepperoncinis or banana peppers, tomatoes and lettuce. I love my sandwich with a little oil and vinegar.
Mississippi Pot Roast
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 3-5 lbs. Chuck Roast
- 1 pkg. Au Jus
- 1 pkg. Dry Ranch Salad Dressing
- 4-8 Pepperoncinis, (more for spicier pot roast)
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- Salt and Pepper chuck roast well.
- Place in a hot frying pan and brown on both sides.
- Add browned chuck roast to slow cooker.
- Pour the packages of au jus and dry salad dressing on chuck roast.
- Place pepperoncinis on roast. (Optional, add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of juice from pepperoncinics.)
- Place slices of butter on top.
- Put the lid on and set to low.
- Cook for 8 hours.
- Serve over Can't Put My Fork Down Mashed Potatoes or rice.