Baked Brie is an elegant Holiday appetizer. It seems complicated, but it only involves three ingredients, puff pastry, brown sugar and Brie cheese. This is the main attraction of any party and will be gone before you know it. My saddest moment is when I bring it to a gathering and when I turn around to get a slice, there isn’t any!
A little slice of apple, some melted cheese, a small piece of crust with a hint of brown sugar. Seriously, is there anything better?
I do not think so!
How to Make Baked Brie
2. Unfold the puff pastry and roll out lightly with a rolling pin.
3. Take the other sleeve of puff pastry and unfold it.
4. Piece the two pieces of puff pastry together to fit the wheel of Brie cheese. I purchase my Brie at Costco. Sometimes during the holidays, they have several different sizes of Brie. This recipe fits the 1.32 pound wheel of cheese. In order to wrap the pastry all around the cheese, I need to piece it together.
5. Cut the second sheet of pastry into three pieces along the seams.
6. Take the three pieces and lay them on the edges of the first sleeve.
7. Attach 1/3 of the second sheet to the first sheet of dough on the right hand side. Wet the dough with your finger and put a small amount of water on the main sleeve. Push the two doughs together until if feels like the seam is sealed.
8. Do the same thing on the left hand side.
9. Then do it again on the top side of the main sheet of dough.
10. Once all the sides are attached use your rolling pin to roll everything out just to make it smooth.
11. Unwrap the wheel of Brie and set it in the center of the the dough. I like to cut the rind off the flat sides of the wheel. I find the rind to be bitter and I do not like the taste. There are some who really enjoy that part. You choose, it is way easier to leave the rind on.
12. Put all the brown sugar on top of the wheel of cheese. Try and keep it on top.
13. Fold up the sides of the dough and twist them like a pinwheel. I think it looks like a little purse.
- 1 Pkg. Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 1.32 lb. Brie Cheese Wheel
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4-6 Apples, Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Juice
- Take out the 2 sleeves of Puff Pastry and let them thaw for 20 minutes.
- Unfold the puff pastry and roll out lightly with a rolling pin.
- Take out the other sleeve of puff pastry and unfold it.
- Cut the second sheet of pastry into three pieces along the seams.
- Take the three pieces and lay them on the edges of the first sleeve.
- Attach 1/3 of the second sheet to the first sheet of dough on the right hand side.
- Do the same thing on the left hand side.
- Then do it again on the top side of the main sheet of dough.
- Use a rolling pin to lightly roll out the dough to smooth everything out.
- Unwrap the wheel of Brie and cut off the rind on the large flat sides.
- Set the cheese in the center of the the dough.
- Put all the brown sugar on top of the wheel of cheese.
- Fold up the sides of the dough and twist them like a pinwheel.
- Keep pushing the dough together and then trim off some of the long pieces on top.
- Place the cheese purse on a greased cookie sheet.
- Mix one egg and 1 Tbsp. of water together with a fork and brush the outside of the entire cheese purse.
- Place in a 400° oven. Cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Everything should be nice and brown when you take it out of the oven.
- Let the cheese wheel sit for 30 minutes before serving.
- Cut 4 large apples into slices and pour pineapple juice over them.