Baked Ravioli is an easy dinner that comes together quickly. All you need is frozen or refrigerated raviolis, bread crumbs, parmesan, a little butter and then some bottled marinara sauce. It comes together easily and it is so delicious!
If you are a pasta fan, Baked Ravioli will soon become a family favorite. But then again, what is not to love! Raviolis covered in cheese and a few bread crumbs and then smothered in marinara sauce. This is one of those dinners that does not stay in the refrigerator long. Everyone loves Baked Ravioli!
How To Make Baked Ravioli
1. Buy refrigerated raviolis. I like the spinach and cheese raviolis from Costco. These raviolis come in a two pack. I use both packs when making recipe. You might want to divide this recipe in half if there are only two of you, but then again, maybe you want a full recipe with lots of leftovers.
There are lots of other brands to choose from. Pick your favorite. You can also purchase frozen raviolis. This recipe is for a 2.5 pound bag of refrigerated raviolis. Frozen raviolis will weigh more so you might want to get more than 2.5 pounds.
2. Grate the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. If you like other kinds of cheeses, please switch them out. I like to grate the mozzarella on the large side of a box grater and the parmesan on the small holes.
How to use all the sides of a box grater.
There are four sides of a box grater.
- The large holes are for cheese, zucchini or carrots.
- The small holes are for a smaller pieces of cheese or vegetables. Some people like to use this side for their carrots when making carrot cake, bread, or cookies.
- There is another small side, but it has a flair of metal at the end of it. This can be used for whole nutmeg. It will also produce a powdery parmesan cheese.
- The side with the large long wholes is for slicing zucchini or shredding cabbage.
3. Get a large pot of water boiling. Cook the raviolis in batches. Follow the directions on the package, but usually they only take about 5 minutes. When they start to float they are close to being done.
As they get done, use a slotted spoon to take them out of the pot. Place them on paper towels for just a minute to drain off some of the water. Then place them in a greased 13 x 9 pan.
4. Create the bread crumb topping by melting the butter and mixing in the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. I like using Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs. They have some herbs and parsley mixed in. I like the little bit of color it gives to the Bake Ravioli.
5. Start layering the raviolis, cheese and bread crumbs. Different raviolis stack differently. The spinach and cheese ravioli are rather flat, so I can usually get a third layer.
Layer the raviolis, mozzarella, and then bread crumbs with parmesan.
Spray a 13 x 9 pan with vegetable spray. Layer the cooked raviolis, one layer deep. Sprinkle on about 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Then sprinkle on 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of the bread crumb mixture. I just like to put a thin layer. Do the layering steps again until the pan is filled. If you have extra raviolis, save them and eat them layer with some marinara sauce.
6. Finish with the bread crumb mixture and place the filled 13 x 9 in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. Everything is already cooked. You are really just crisping up the edges of the raviolis and toasting the bread crumbs on top. Of course, you are also melting the cheeses, too.
7. I like a lot of sauce on my raviolis, so I use the large Prego or Ragu bottle of marinara sauce. Warm it up in a microwave safe bowl or on the stove in a sauce pan.
8. Once the raviolis have cooked, and everything is nice and crispy, take them out of the oven and serve. Put the warmed marinara sauce in a pitcher and let everyone put their own sauce on their individual portions.
The raviolis will refrigerate better without the sauce. They will keep their crisp edges and not get soggy.
Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this. Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.
- 2.5 lbs. Refrigerated Raviolis
- 3 Cups Mozzarella grated
- 3 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 Cups Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/4 Cup Butter melted
- 45 oz. Marinara Sauce
- Boil and drain the ravioli.
- Mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray the 13 x 9 pan with vegetable spray.
- Layer cooked raviolis in one layer on the bottom.
- Sprinkle on about 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese.
- Place 1/2 – 3/4 cup of bread crumb mixture over the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 6-8 until the 13 x 9 pan is full.
- Finish with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Warm up the marinara sauce in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Serve the raviolis and then pour on the warm marinara sauce.
Leave me your thoughts!