When you see the title for Grape Jelly Chili Sauce Meatball Appetizer there is a good chance you might think, “What the heck? Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce mixed together does not sound good!” Oh, are you so wrong!
Grape jelly, chili sauce and meatballs are the only ingredients in this recipe. If you can’t get pass the grape jelly, think more along the lines of pineapple juice and soy sauce. Now those two flavors make an amazing sweet and savory sauce. Grape jelly and chili sauce have the same relationship and, oh, they are so good, wrapped around a meatball.
There is no reason to give you a breakdown on how to make this delicious appetizer because the recipe is so easy. If you have never made these meatballs, I urge you to try this recipe! It is a family favorite when making appetizers for a party, like The Super Bowl, coming up February 12.
How to Make Grape Jelly Chili Sauce Meatball Appetizers
1. Pour the frozen, cooked meatballs into a slow cooker. If you buy the big bag of meatballs from Costco, use half the bag. You are welcome to cook all the meatballs, but you need to double the other ingredients.
2. If you want to make your own meatballs, I suggest using my Pantry Meatloaf recipe. Mix the ingredients together and use an ice cream scoop to create the meatballs. Place the scoops close together on a sheet pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Once you have these cooked you are ready to drop them in a slow cooker.
3. Pour the two bottles of chili sauce over the meatballs and then squeeze out all the grape jelly on top. Put the lid on. Place the slow cooker on low. In three hours, you will have the most delicious meatballs. Stir occasionally to mix the chili sauce and grape jelly.
You can make these on the stove too. Make sure the heat is the lowest you can make it. These also can be cooked in the oven in an 8 qt. pan with a lid. Cook on 250° for three hours. I really like using the slow cooker. It keeps the burners free on my stove for other appetizers and dishes I am making.
To Heat the Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce or Not?
4. Some people want the sauce all mixed together before pouring over the meatballs. If you are one of these people, heat the chili sauce and grape jelly on the stove and then pour over the meatballs.
I have found, throughout the years of making Grape Jelly Chili Sauce Meatball Appetizer, mixing everything in the slow cooker works great for me. The heat from everything melts the grape jelly. No need in my opinion to dirty another pan. If you stir things up once in a while, before you know it, the sauce is completely heated through and mixed together.
5. Serve in the slow cooker with toothpicks next to it or with toothpicks inserted in each meatball on a platter. My family just loves to drop them on a plate and eat them with a fork. My family is not very fancy. Every one is hungry from smelling the meatballs cook all afternoon!
Here are a few products I like to use when making
Grape Jelly Chili Sauce Meatballs.
When you purchase items from the Amazon links below, I receive a small commission.
Post a picture and tag me.
Grape Jelly Chili Sauce Meatball Appetizer
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 3 lbs. Frozen Meatballs
- 2 12 oz. Bottle of Chili Sauce
- 20 oz. Grape Jelly
- Pour the frozen, cooked meatballs into a slow cooker.
- If you want to make your own meatballs, I suggest using my Pantry Meatloaf recipe.
- Pour the two bottles of chili sauce over the meatballs and then squeeze out all the grape jelly on top.
- Set slow cooker on low and cook for three hours.
- Serve in the slow cooker with toothpicks next to it or with toothpicks inserted in each meatball on a platter.