Making mayonnaise at home is so much easier than you think. The great thing about making Homemade Mayonnaise is it opens the door to so many creative ideas. You can add sriracha, herbs like rosemary, thyme and basil, you can add green onions and lime, or curry. The possibilities are endless.
You probably have all the ingredients you need to make Homemade Mayonnaise today. It takes a little arm strength and patience, but the flavor is so worth it. Also, if you are sensitive to food preservatives, you might want to think about adventuring out and making your own.
How to Make Homemade Mayonnaise
1. Many homemade mayonnaise recipes have mustard in them, but this one does not. It is simply an egg yolk, a little salt and sugar, with water and oil. The great thing is you can choose from a plethora of oils, vegetable, canola, olive oil, safflower, avocado or grape seed oil. If you have a favorite oil, try it out.
2. Homemade Mayonnaise is quick and easy. It comes together in about 10 minutes. You can make it in a food processor, a blender, with a wire whisk or you can use an immersion blender. I chose to use a wire whisk to prove that you can make amazing mayonnaise with a simple tool and a little elbow grease.
Homemade Mayonnaise is delicious!
3. This recipe makes about 1 cup of mayonnaise. If you want more, double the recipe.
4. Mix the sugar, salt, water, vinegar and lemon juice together. Stir gently until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
5. Start with one egg yolk and beat until the deep yellow of the egg has softened to a lighter yellow. Add half of the sugar and salt mixture. Beat until well blended.
6. In order to make this by myself, I put the oil in a squirt bottle. This made it easy for me to squeeze a little bit of oil into the egg mixture at a time keeping a steady stream of oil going into the bowl.
If you are making this in a blender or food processor, as you add the oil make sure it goes in a little at a time. This is a great trick when making salad dressings, too.
When adding the oil, make it a small stream of oil going in the small hole in the lid of the food processor or the blender. The slower you can pour the oil in, the more solid and mixed your mayonnaise or salad dressing will be.
Add the vegetable oil very slowly!
7. Beat continuously with the wire whisk as you stream in the oil. Once you have added half of the oil, add the rest of the salt and sugar mixture and beat well.
8. Add the second half of the oil in very small amounts. If you do not have a squeeze bottle, a small measuring cup with a spout works well, too.
9. Once all the oil has been added, beat well for a minute to make sure everything is well mixed . The mayonnaise will be thick and your arm will probably be killing you. Unless of course you have been working out and you have great guns. I don’t have great guns and my arm was not killing me so maybe you won’t feel it at all.
10. Use your mayonnaise on any kind of sandwich, in dips or recipes calling for mayonnaise. This mayonnaise will stay fresh in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one month.
There are so many flavors you can add!
11. Mayonnaise is a kind of food that can be the base for so many flavors. You can add sriracha, or curry, or garlic, or lemon, or a green onions and lime or basil, thyme and rosemary. All of these will make amazing aiolis for any dish or sandwich you might be making.
- 1 tsp. Water
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 1/4 tsp. Vinegar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- Mix the water, lemon juice, sugar, salt and vinegar in a small bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Beat the egg yolk until it is light colored.
- Add half of the vinegar mixture to the egg yolk. Beat well.
- Put the oil in a container that allows you to stream a small thread of oil as you beat it into the egg yolk mixture. I use a squeeze bottle.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of oil while beating with a wire whisk.
- Once half the oil has been added, add the other half of the vinegar mixture beating continuously.
- Beat in the other 1/2 cup of oil while whipping it vigorously.
- The mayonnaise will begin to thicken. Continue to beat until everything is well mixed. Refrigerate when done.